Sanford H. High founded High Welding Company in 1931 with a keen focus on innovation and serving his customers—and serving them well. This came to be known as The High Way.
We are committed to two great tasks:
1940s - Sanford High meets with state highway officials to promote the welding of steel bridges rather than riveting
1941 - High Welding Company moves to a new facility and expands its fabrication capacity
1951 - Sanford High's oldest son, Calvin G. High, joined the company after attending Goshen College
1953 - The company is awarded its first sizable steel fabrication contracts
1955 - High Welding Company continues to grow and moves to a new facility
1956 - Sanford High and his son, Calvin, incorporated High Welding Company
1963 – S. Dale High, the youngest son of Sanford High joins full time after graduating from Elizabethtown College
1963 – Marking the beginning of expansion into other businesses, High Realty Company is formed
1970 – High Welding Company wins a contract for a bridge spanning Pennsylvania's Susquehanna River
1971 - The company changes its name to High Steel Structures to reflect its leadership in structural steel engineering, fabrication, and erection
1977 - High acquires Kurtz Precast Corporation, the forerunner of High Concrete Group. Pictured: Target Corporation parking garage fabricated by High
1977 – High Industries Inc. is formed as a holding company for the growing number of High businesses. S. Dale High is named chairman, president, and CEO
1977 – Richard L. High, Calvin High’s son, joins High Steel Structures as master scheduler/project manager
1978 – High Steel Service Center opens, a full-line metal processor and distributor; High acquires Lantz Builders, Inc., the forerunner of High Construction Company
1980 – High Associates is formed to sell, lease, and manage commercial, industrial, and residential real estate. Pictured: Mallard One, a Class-A office building in Charlotte, N.C.
1980 – The High Foundation, a philanthropic, non-profit organization, is formed. Its mission is to make a significant difference in the lives of those most in need in our community. Pictured: Water Street Community Homeless Outreach Center.
1983 - Sanford H. High, the company’s founder, passes away. His vision and values remain at the heart of High today
1985 – Williamsport Fabricators is acquired by High Steel Structures, increasing market share and service to customers
1988 – High Hotels Ltd. is formed to develop and manage limited-service hotels. Pictured: 1989 groundbreaking of the Hampton Inn Lancaster
1989 – Steven D. High, S. Dale High’s son, joins as a safety specialist
1990 – High forms Greenfield Architects to provide architecture, adaptive reuse, interior design, and planning. Pictured: Schott Pharmaceuticals, a design project in Lebanon, Pa.
1991 – Gregory A. High, S. Dale High’s son, joins High Associates as marketing representative
1993 – The S. Dale High Family assumes full ownership of High Industries Inc. and its affiliated operating companies. Pictured: The Arthur Ravenal Jr. Bridge in Charleston, S.C. for which High Steel Structures was a primary fabricator
1994 – High Family Partnership is formed by the S. Dale High Family, seeking growth through development and acquisition of real estate
1997 - Following a career of more than 45 years, Calvin G. High retires as Senior Vice President of High Industries and continues to serve on the High Industries Board of Directors
1998 – The S. Dale High Family assumes the role of general partner in High Properties, the primary asset-holding real estate company
2001 – The High Family purchases the property that housed High Welding Company when it opened in the City of Lancaster, Pa., in 1931
2004 - High Concrete Group expands the geography it serves with the acquisition of its Springboro, Ohio, plant
2005 - The company consolidates management of real estate assets and operations under High Real Estate Group
2005 – Suzanne M. High Schenck, S. Dale High’s daughter, is active on The High Family Council and chairs The High Family Assembly
2006- The High companies celebrate 75 years
2014 - High Steel Structures began fabricating steel for the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge, in the largest contract in the company's history (Photo courtesy of Tappan Zee Constructors)
2015 - Michael F. Shirk succeeds Nevin D. Cooley as CEO of the High companies
2016 - Paula Crowley, a nine-year member of the High Boards, becomes non-executive Chair of the Boards, succeeding S. Dale High who is elected Chair Emeritus by the High Boards
2016 - The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences begins a new era by opening the doors of its consolidated campus in Greenfield Corporate Center, with extensive renovations designed by Greenfield Architects and completed by High Construction Company
Today, as ownership transitions, The High Family Council continues to provide leadership and ensures that the values and philosophy established by previous generations of the High Family continue to guide the High companies. Pictured left to right are Steven D. High, Sadie H. High, S. Dale High, Suzanne M. High Schenck, and Gregory A. High
1931 - High Welding Company is founded in Lancaster, Pa., by Sanford H. High
Today, as ownership transitions to the third generation, The High Family Council remains active in the business and continues to provide leadership. The Council is tasked with:
The third generation of The High Family—Greg, Suzanne, and Steve—break ground for a new facility to honor S. Dale High, the High companies' Chair Emeritus.
The S. Dale High Leadership Center opened in September 2017 as "A catalyst for bringing people together" that honors the leadership and entrepreneurship of S. Dale High.
The High Family dedicates a bronze monument to the company's founding at its original location on Lemon Street in Lancaster, Pa.